The Pedagogical Fellowship
Former Pedagogical Fellows say…
Graduate students who are interested in advanced pedagogy and mentoring other graduate students can apply each year for the Pedagogical Fellows (PF) Program.
The PF Program is a highly regarded “preparing future faculty” program; selection is competitive, based on a record of excellent teaching, promising scholarship, and service to the University, department, and the disciplines’ professional community. Current and former Fellows have done well on the academic and other professional job markets, have been honored for their teaching, and have received a number of competitive fellowships and awards. Get to know some of our Fellows in our PF Showcase series. For a list of current and former Fellows, please click here.
The Pedagogical Fellows Program is designed to provide Fellows with advanced pedagogical, pre-professional, and program development in an interdisciplinary community that emphasizes professional and personal support. In addition, Fellows receive personalized assistance with preparing for the academic job market. Fellows are awarded a $2000 fellowship.
Criteria for Selection:
Beginning this year, a pre-requisite for eligibility in the PF Program will be completion of one of the following:
- Certificate in Teaching Excellence
- University Studies 390A Seminar B or University Studies 390X
- Approved department pedagogy courses/seminars (contact Dr. Danny Mann at email@example.com to verify your course)
As mentors to other TAs within the Fellow’s department and School, the successful applicant will…
- have taught a range of courses within the department over an extended period of time
- have excellent teaching evaluations, with indications of steady improvement over time
- a clear, exemplified, and well-written cover letter
- an up-to-date CV, using accepted formatting
- strong letters of recommendation from supervising UCI faculty who demonstrate the candidate’s credibility as a future researcher, excellent instructor, and mentor to others
- evidence of service
- evidence of continuing professional development as instructors
- evidence of genuine interest in learning more about pedagogy
Applicants need to know that being a Fellow requires a year-long commitment. Throughout the appointment, Fellows participate in the following courses and activities:
Winter Quarter: University Studies 390A
Fellows read both general and discipline-specific pedagogical theory, observe and implement evidence-based teaching practices, and build community with their co-Fellows.
Spring Quarter: University Studies 390B
Using many of the principles and skills acquired in 390A, Fellows apply them to the design of a TA Professional Development Program for new TAs in their discipline, and implement the Program during Welcome Week and Fall Quarter.
Over the course of a few long days, Fellows present selected TA Professional Development Program workshops to one another and receive feedback in preparation for conducting the fall training.
Fellows implement their TA Professional Development Program (orientation for new TAs in their discipline). Depending on their department’s choice, they might receive a partial TA-ship to teach a pedagogy course during the quarter, as well.
Fall Quarter: University Studies 390C
Special Topics, including: academic job preparation; hybrid & online teaching and course development; special teaching methodologies.
The application for the 2018 PF Program will be available soon.
If you have any questions, please email CEI3000@uci.edu.