Certificate in Teaching Excellence Program (CTEP)
The Center for Engaged Instruction is offering its Certificate in Teaching Excellence Program (CTEP); it is intended to provide extended pedagogical training and experience for UCI graduate students and post-doctoral fellows in a flexible and self-paced manner.
Former University Studies 390X students say….
Program Learning Outcomes
By the completion of this program, participants will be able to…
- …design lessons using evidence-based pedagogical principles;
- …analyze and assess teaching practices;
- …effectively facilitate learning.
Main Topics of Study
- How People Learn
- Active Learning
- Inclusive Teaching
- Collaborative Learning
- Instructional Technology
- Course/Lesson Design
- Peer Observation of Teaching
There are four ways to earn the Certificate:
- (Grad students and post-docs) You complete the University Studies 390X seminar (formerly called University Studies 390A Seminar B). This course meets for three hours once a week for all ten weeks of a quarter. The course meets the requirements for the readings, lesson plan design, and part of the observing others and being observed requirements. The course requires students to have their teaching observed once and observe a peer once. To complete the Certificate, you need to be observed three times and observe others three times. University Studies 390X is offered every quarter. Completion of 390X satisfies the requirements for becoming a CIRTL Associate. (For more information about CIRTL, consult UCI’s Graduate Division.) Graduate students enroll online through WebReg, and post-docs email Dr. Danny Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org for auditing information.
- Pros: Simplicity, accountability, completion on graduate student transcript
- Cons: Regular class meetings and assignments may not work for your schedule
- Note: If you take 390X in the Fall quarter, you are eligible to apply for the Pedagogical Fellowship that quarter.
- (Grad students & post-docs) You complete the Certificate in a self-paced manner online using Canvas. There are modules online to upload evidence of studying various topics for the Certificate. This evidence takes the form of write-ups such as reflections and analyses of readings OR CEI workshop attendance (go here for upcoming workshops and find the sessions marked for partially meeting Certificate requirements; email email@example.com to be directly notified of our quarterly workshop schedule). An exit interview will be necessary to complete the self-paced Certificate. To help with accountability, email firstname.lastname@example.org for regular check-ins regarding your Certificate progress. We will do our best to accommodate grads and post-docs working abroad. Contact Dr. Danny Mann at email@example.com for any questions regarding completion of the requirements.
- Pros: Complete at your own pace
- Cons: More complex, may take longer than one quarter, less accountability
- (Grad students only) You take an approved department-specific pedagogy course. To verify that your pedagogy course can be used to meet the Certificate requirements, please contact Dr. Danny Mann at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pros: Apply past experience towards Certificate, may appear on graduate student transcript
- Cons: Course may not meet all the requirements
- (Grad students only) You are a 2017 or former Pedagogical Fellow. To learn more about the Pedagogical Fellowship Program, click here.
How to Enroll in the Self-Paced Method
The Self-Paced method must be completed within Canvas and completed independently. There is no regular instructor involvement. After the introduction, the modules can be completed in any order.
To enroll in the course, complete these two steps:
- Click this link to register with Free Canvas and enroll in the course
- Save this URL in your bookmarks (https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/954112). It is the location of this course, and can be accessed from any browser.
That’s it! You can begin by accessing the Modules page. The staff of the Center for Engaged Instruction can answer questions upon request. We recommend that once you have completed three modules that you contact Dr. Danny Mann at email@example.com and ask for a progress check.
In What Order Should I Complete the Modules?
You can complete the Modules in any order, but here’s a suggestion:
1. How People Learn
2. Active Learning
3. Collaborative Learning
4. Instructional Technology
6. Course/Lesson Design
Observations and Being Observed can be done at any time; however, you might want to be observed once before you have participated in any of the Certificate requirement, once during the middle of your progress, and then once towards the completion of the Certificate. Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for assistance with arranging peer observations.
Pedagogical Liaisons Program
Graduate students and post-doctoral scholars who successfully complete University Studies 390X (or University Studies 390A Seminar B) or obtain a Certificate in Teaching Excellence are invited to apply to be a Pedagogical Liaison. Graduate students who complete the program will be automatically fast-tracked to the interview stage of the Pedagogical Fellowship application, should they choose to apply. They must complete the PF application prior to the submission deadline, but they will be invited for an interview, which is the last stage of the decision process.
Selected candidates are responsible for providing 10 hours of pedagogical service to their department or school. To assist with the design and implementation of teaching service, candidates are paired with a Pedagogical Fellow, who will serve as their mentor. To satisfy the 10 hour minimum, candidates may: facilitate pedagogy workshop(s) for their department or school; may assist their Pedagogical Fellow mentor with the design and facilitation of the two-day TA Professional Development Program offered at the beginning of the Fall Quarter; serve on a teaching committee; design a course; and/or conduct peer observations & teaching consultations. Applications are accepted year-round: Pedagogical Liaisons Application